Romans 16:17-18 (ESV)
Final Instructions and Greetings
17 I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them. 18 For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the naive.
1 Corinthians 1:10-13 (ESV)
Divisions in the Church
10 I appeal to you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment. 11 For it has been reported to me by Chloe’s people that there is quarreling among you, my brothers. 12 What I mean is that each one of you says, “I follow Paul,” or “I follow Apollos,” or “I follow Cephas,” or “I follow Christ.” 13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?
Titus 3:9-11 (ESV)
9 But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless. 10 As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him,11 knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned.
Luke 11:17 (ESV)
17 But he, knowing their thoughts, said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and a divided household falls.
- More than One Vision :: Do you have a secret folder?
- Underground Bitterness :: Are there talks that need to be had while the issue is still small? Is there any foolish thought you need to apologies for? Where do you go to “side-chatter”?
- Constant Comparison :: Do you get jealous when someone else is celebrated? Do you often feel like you are performing better than someone else, or someone isn’t performing according to your expectations? Who do you need to talk to about this?
- Personal Distance :: Is there a hidden issue/sin that lie to you and causes shame? Do you feel alienated?
- Different “Rulers” :: Do we all measure the “win” the same way? Is there respect for your leader and those around? Is there a way to work on your respect towards them?
- Know the difference difference between division and tension
- Safe space = one on ones
- Not filling in the gap with negative assumption = make a vow: I will talk to you and not about you.
- Lead them don’t control them